Instagram Insights is the API that you’ll need to measure all the organic dimensions and metrics related to Instagram accounts. If you’re looking for reporting on IG ads, you’ll need to read our post on the Facebook Ad Data Studio Connectors. Once you integrate IG Insights with your dashboard, you’ll get access to a great data set to easily report on profile data (follows, etc.), and posts (reach, interaction data, etc). Not sure what this could look like, we’ve got a template here for preview.
In this post, we’re going to review your options for connecting Instagram Insights data with your Google Data Studio reports and dashboards.
Instagram Google Data Studio Connectors
|Connector||Data Sources||Pricing||Read Review||Free Trial|
|35+ Data Sources||$39/Month||Read Review||Free Trial||facebook ads, google analytics, custom, adform, adobe analytics, adroll, amazon ads, bing ads, facebook insights, public data, google ads, adsense, my business, search console, google+, instagram insights, linkedin ads, mailchimp, company pages, pinterest, quora, reddit, search 360, semrush, stripe, tumblr, twitter, vimeo, yahoo, yandex metrica, youtube, criteo, outbrain, hubspot, snapchatads, verizon, taboola||@supermetrics|
Power My Analytics
|25+ Data Sources||$9.95 Per Source||Read Review||Free Trial||facebook ads, adroll, amazon, bing, constant contact, criteo, ebay, insights, google my business, instagram ads, instagram insights, instagram media insights, linkedin ads, linkedin company analytics, listrak, mailchimp, paypal, pinterest, shareasale, tripadvisor, twitter, walmart, yahoo, snapchatads, perfectaudience, quickbooks, taboola, hubspot||@powermyanalytics|
|18+ Data Sources||Free||Read Review||Free||google analytics, file upload, bigquery, campaign manager, cloud spanner, cloud sql for mysql, display & video 360, extract data, google ad manager 360, google ads, google analytics, google cloud storage, google sheets, mysql, postgresql, search ads 360, search console, youtube analytics, tv attibution|
|400+ Data Sources||$499/Month||Read Review||Demo Available||adobe analytics, adjust, salesforce, shopify, instagram ads, google ads, bing ads, doubleclick, facebook ads, linkedin, twitter, appnexus, criteo, mediamath, snapchat, tradedoubler, yahoo, adform, adroll, appsflyer, google analytics, has offers, perfect audience, performant, ebay, google search console, impact radius, listrak, mailchimp, outbrain, peperjam, propel media, quora, reddit, taboola, yandex, pinterest||@funnel|
|16+ Data Sources||Custom Solutions||Read Review||None Currently||facebook ads,||@tapclicks|
Choosing the Best IG Connector for Data Studio
Instagram is quickly surpassing Facebook in terms of marketing relevance, period. The social exposure currently offered by this platform is high relative to every other platform and thus, the need to measure is greater than ever. Here’s what you need to consider when choosing a connector to pull your IG account(s) to Data Studio.
- Data Points: First, what are interested in reporting on? For many, reporting on IG focuses on account level stats (followers, posts, etc.) and also on post level stats (recent posts, views, interaction metrics, etc.). Most connectors seem to offer a similar set of data points.
- Roll-Up Instagram Reporting: Do you have one Instagram account or many to report on? If one, any connector will do. If many, consider a connector which will allow you to pull from multiple accounts at once.
- Direct Connection vs Data Warehousing: There are two types of Instagram connectors. Those who provide a direct API connection to IG and those who actually download and store data to their own servers and then send those to your Google Data Studio account. Each has benefits but in general, because IG offers historical data through their API, we prefer to connect directly to the API (Supermetrics) so that backfilling data to a data warehouse solution (such as Power My Analytics) is not needed.
For Instagram, we have extensive experience using Supermetrics for IG reporting and have found it easy to use and reliable. However, most of the data connectors mentioned here offer free trials so feel free to explore a few before committing.
- Free IG Template
- Learn more about Google Data Studio Connectors
- Supermetrics (free/paid depending on your needs)
- Power My Analytics (free trial)