Today’s post on using custom rolling dates in Google Data Studio is brought to you by the color blue!
Seriously though, we totally had trouble figuring out how these worked (and probably mis-reported a bit) so once we did, we wanted to run through the seemingly simple feature. Video below.
How to Use Custom Rolling Dates
Configuring Rolling Dates
- Set the date range to “Advanced”
- Set the start date rolling logic
- Set the end date rolling logic
- Set the comparison range (optional but great for showing trends when seasonality affects the data)
We feel that there are few considerations in using this feature.
- Don’t accidentally omit data by using the wrong time dimension. For example, rolling the past 365 days is DIFFERENT than rolling the past 12 months.
- Consider omitting the current day/month/year when trending over time as the current period is incomplete until the period is complete (and may cause confusion among your audience)